- How do I edit my profile?
- How do I make a friend request?
- How do I send a message to someone?
- How do I change my account e-mail address or password?
- How do I change what notification e-mails I get?
- How do I create a group?
- What is the difference between public, private, and hidden groups?
- How do I change my group from public to private, or private to hidden?
- What is the difference between a group member, a group mod, and a group admin?
- How do I send invitations to other people so they can join my group?
- How do I change how often I get e-mail about a group’s forum activity?
How do I edit my profile?
To edit your profile or avatar picture, click on My Account in the upper right corner of the screen. Then click on Edit Profile or Change Avatar. You can also do this in one step by using the submenus that appear when you hover over the My Account menu. Go to My Account > Profile > Edit Profile.
How do I make a friend request?
To request friendship with someone, click the Add Friend button that appears next their name in member lists. This button will appear in the main Members list, as well as within group member lists or on the profile page of someone when you click on their name. Once they have approved your friendship, their name will appear in your My Account > Friends > My Friends list.
If someone has requested your friendship, you will get a notification telling you so in the Notifications menu. You can then accept or reject the request by going to My Accounts > Friends > Requests and clicking Accept or Reject. To cancel a friendship, simply follow the same process as adding a friendâ€”if the person is already your friend, the Add Friend button will be replaced by a Cancel Friendship button.
How do I send a message to someone?
You can send a message by visiting the My Account > Messages > Compose area. Here you can send messages to any registered user of langfordlearning.com, whether they are a friend and not. You can also check your messages under Inbox, and see your sent messages under Sent Messages.
How do I change my account e-mail address or password?
How do I change what notification e-mails I get?
You may receive notification e-mails from langfordlearning.com when users send you messages, request your friendship, invite you to join groups, etc. You can change what types of notification e-mails you get by visiting My Account > Settings > Notifications and then choosing Yes or No for each item. Group e-mail subscription settings are separate. (To change these, see How do I change how often I get e-mail about a group’s forum activity?.)
How do I create a group?
What is the difference between public, private, and hidden groups?
- Public groups are visible in all group directories. Any registered user of langfordlearning.com can freely join the group, as well as see the contents of the group (member lists, forum posts, and group documents). Additionally, the forum posts are visible to read (although not reply to) for anyone accessing the website.
- Private groups are also visible in group directories. The group name and description are visible for anyone accessing the website. However, the contents of the groupâ€”member lists, forum posts, and group documentsâ€”are accessible only to members of the group. Moreover, group membership is controlled: registered users of langfordlearning.com must request group membership, which can only be granted by a group administrator.
- Hidden groups are invisible to non-members. These group names and descriptions are not listed in sitewide directories, and their contents are accessible only to members of the group. Because the group is unlisted, other registered users cannot request membership. Instead, individuals can only join the group by invitation.
How do I change my group from public to private, or private to hidden?
What is the difference between a group member, a group mod, and a group admin?
- Members are the default role for a user when he or she joins the group. Group members are able to post to that groupâ€™s forums, upload documents to the group, and view a list of the other group members. When a user posts to the discussion forum of a public group, the user automatically becomes a member of that group.
- Mods (or moderators) are chosen by the group admin to help administrate the group. In addition to the abilities of a normal group member, a group mod is able to:
- Edit the group name and group description.
- Edit, close, and delete any forum topic or post in the group.
- Edit and delete group documents.
- Admins (or administrators) have total control over the contents and settings of a group. That includes all the abilities of a group mod, as well as the ability to:
- Turn group forums on or off, and change the group’s privacy settings (e.g. from public to private, or from private to hidden).
- Change the group avatar.
- Manage group members by promoting members to mods, or banning individual users from the group.
- Delete the group.
The individual who creates the group is automatically the groupâ€™s first administrator. The first admin can then appoint other group admins if they so choose.
How do I send invitations to other people so they can join my group?
How do I change how often I get e-mail about a group’s forum activity?
You can change the level of your e-mail subscription to a group by clicking on the group, then selecting the Email Options section. There are five levels of subscription, from no e-mail sent to all activity sent to you.
How do I post a new forum topic?
Forum topics are always attached to a specific group. For private and hidden groups, you must be a member of the group to post new topics. For public groups, posting in a group automatically makes you a member if you are not already. You can make a new post in two ways:
- Click on Forums in the top menu, then click on New Topic. Make sure you choose a relevant group in which to post the topic.
- Click on Groups, choose a group, then select Forum and fill out the Post a New Topic fields at the bottom of the page.
How do I include a YouTube video in a forum post?
Simply include the video URL (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khj49OlVolk) within your post, and the video will automatically be pulled into it. You can embed video from the following sites: